Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Where We Imagine

I bask in a fantastic yet believable setting. I favor sleek and futuristic or cyclopean and archaic. I love a deadly paradise, especially if overgrown ruins are to be found. A desert with ruins poking out of it is just as lovely. A ghost town is always interesting.

I write stories. The settings matter. They provide ambient context.

I do not provide elaborate descriptions. I instead imply things, to establish the gist. The ambiguity is to allow the reader to customize what they envision to their own preferences-- or to make it familiar by default.

A story is its characters. They are the actors. The world is their stage. The stage settings are the costumes of the world.

Sleek and futuristic is modernity as an ideal. Even if a story is dystopian, if the environment is utopian, it shall be appealing. The evil shall be sexy.

Cyclopean and archaic is the grandeur of myth and legend. Even if a story is grim, if the environment is awesome, we shall bask in its glory. The severity shall be thrilling.

Forests and deserts are wilderness. They are nature. Ruins within them are civilization as the artificial humbled by the natural. A ghost town is the loneliness typical of every society.

I am a tourist when I read a book or comic book or watch a show or movie or play a video game. I enjoy where the stories happen as much as what happens. I write and render my own fiction accordingly.

https://www.deviantart.com/yellowplasma

4 comments:

  1. Cool is cool, no matter how dangerous or evil it might actually be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! The thrill of danger can inspire. The boredom of safety does no such thing.

      Delete
  2. The setting tends to set a tone. Characters will live in this place, and attempt to thrive there. It is their world, for better or worse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better or worse can be better either way as a fantasy. Funny how imagination lets nothing go to waste.

      Delete