Wednesday, May 22, 2024

My Advice on Writing Fiction

I tell aspiring writers that their silly ideas are the best. I tell them to take them seriously, however. Turn what is ridiculous into something believable. Give substance to what is otherwise airy fairy. 

I illustrate my own covers. I create the title fonts. These are distinct from storytelling. It is unnecessary for a writer to do these things. It is good to consolidate your endeavors, however. Doing many things can spread you too thin… but not if they are all the same thing.

I encourage writers to write their sexual fantasies. I advise them to do so tastefully, however. Vulgarity is not art.

I discourage social commentary. Classics such as 1984 and Dune may seem to prove me wrong… but they do not. I read both books. They are limited by their politics. Though as imaginative and immersive as The Arkham Cycle and The Lord of the Rings they prove ultimately inferior. Unlike these other two, the message is not merely an aspect of the fiction, but the actual fiction. They are fundamentally narrow-minded accordingly.

I tell every aspiring writer of fiction that they should begin with short stories. They must keep their ideas simple and the characters few. They must finish each story swiftly and the story must be complete in of itself. I warn that striving to write an epic as the first project is doomed to failure. To try is to quit before finishing or to write something ridiculous. They need experience first.

Reading how to write is a good idea. Reading classics is likewise, and for the same reason. Researching topics is also advisable.

Do not write with movies in mind. Even if the inspiration is a motion picture, write what you write as literature. Movies are instant gratification by design. Books are supposed to be pondered. These distinctions effect depth and pacing.

DO NOT WRITE ABOUT YOUR REAL LIFE or the lives of people you know. Unless you fictionalize the stories, they are inevitably boring. SERIOUSLY! Your dramatic moments are not classics in waiting. Get over yourself.

https://www.deviantart.com/yellowplasma

4 comments:

  1. All writing really is is communication. It tends to be more subtle in form, but it still succeeds in communicating what the author is trying to say. Like any communication, it is sometimes clear and sometimes not. It is up to the author to figure out a way to communicate effectively. I support all authors, and I do give them credit for trying. I only criticize them when I run into problems... if I feel they even care to be criticized.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Parable of the Sower applies perfectly to writing. Most people inspired to write fail to do so, for the very same reasons mentioned in the parable. The very few who bear fruit succeed for the very same reason for success in the parable. INSPIRATION is the seed. Jesus actually meant INSPIRATION when he told the story.

      Delete
  2. When you start writing, the ideas tend to be big along with the scope. It takes discipline to focus on something small and simple. Most people bite off more than they can chew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it does take discipline to focus and keep things simple. We must defer gratification if our work is to be satisfying.

      Delete