Monday, August 12, 2024

Fictional Morality

As a writer of fiction, I am mindful that my stories should be moral. I do not mean in the terms of reality, which do not apply.

My Black Death series is about black women who serial kill young white women… and get away with it. My Sorcerer trilogy is about a sympathetic Nazi who uses magic, technology and armed force to commit mass-murder. My novel The Wayward School for Girls uses little girls as nameless baddies… and they are slaughtered in droves.

The moral of Black Death is that if you are insignificant, your death shall be inconsequential. The moral of the Sorcerer trilogy is that “fired up for” or “cold against” are righteous in the eyes of the Lord. The moral of The Wayward School for Girls is that learning is not thinking.

The “racism” of Black Death and the “fascism” of the Sorcerer trilogy and the “pedophilia” of The Wayward School for Girls are disturbing, perhaps. I did not write them to be shocking or offensive. I wrote what I wrote in all sincerity, to tell stories as waking dreams.

As a society, we are obsessed with racism, politics and pedophilia… so those are what are on my mind when I write fiction. I sublimate the anxiety into inspiration.

Social commentary is propaganda. Certainty that your politics are inarguably right does not change this. On the contrary: It means your fiction is shameless propaganda, not a good thing.

My stories are waking dreams. I write them to learn from them. I articulate my thoughts and feelings. By doing so I bring order to the chaos. What was muddled becomes clear. I share what I write to inspire as I was inspired.

I am often snubbed because my themes are supposedly immoral… as if the evils of the world can be erased from reality by erasing them from the pages of fiction.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Shawn-OToole/author/B07C28S75Z?ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

4 comments:

  1. Lately the world is more concerned with trigger words and such to figure out what is and isn't moral. It's really dumb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like the hero using the guns of the baddies to gun them down, the trigger words of evil can be used as triggers to gun them down. Like in my stories: The heroes use the weapons of the enemy to prevail.

      Delete
  2. To write about politics is ultimately futile, since such things change. What is important today is not likely to be so tomorrow. Stories written about people last longer, because they can be enjoyed by different generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Not so long ago, the British and French were bitter enemies. Now they joke about it. A hundred years from now only historians shall remember they loathed each other.

      Delete