Friday, July 19, 2024

Wisely Ridiculous

I write books, illustrate the covers and create the title fonts. My latest project is one I have been working on for years. I have already written tens of thousands of words, illustrated the covers and created the font. I am close to finishing the first and second book.

The settings of my fiction are imaginary. I prefer a universe I customize to the uninspiring reality we live in.

The pending books are about an SS officer and his teenage daughter as the villains. The girl’s mother and half-sister are the heroes.

The Nazis are the baddies but so are the Confederates. They are contemporaries as thriving empires. The setting is the 1930s but as the modern day. Speech was never confounded into languages and weapons of mass-destruction are obsolete.

I could have set the stories in authentic history. It would be easy to substitute the Confederacy with the Empire of Japan. The adventures in Latin America would be in East Asia instead, no problem. The characters would speak whatever languages they were required to know. The 1930s would be as they actually were, no problem. The atomic bomb was not ready until the 1940s, so there is nothing for me to change about that.

The SS officer is a sorcerer. His daughter is an enchantress. The girl’s mother and half-sister are both psychic. I could tell their stories without including magic and psychic powers. They still use guns, knives and technology, so no problem.

I could easily have written these pending books as historical fiction. They could be entirely realistic without changing much. Still, I would be uninterested. I want the supposedly ridiculous aspects. The reality is uninteresting to me without it.

If my preferences are faulty then stories better than mine prove it, especially if better for the very things I dislike. Alas, countless realistic stories have been written. Endless volumes of authentic history have been written. How would my work be better for being what we already have ad nauseam?

https://www.deviantart.com/yellowplasma/journal/Worlds-of-My-Making-2-1060632082

4 comments:

  1. Nothing in fiction is really all that wrong since fiction, by its very nature, is wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago, I was inspired to write a western. Because I tried to be realistic, I ran out of energy. When I added magic and monsters, I was able to make something I could really sink my teeth into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspiration is madness, not sanity. Unlike the crazy of mental illness, it is creativity gone wild.

      Delete