Friday, July 12, 2024

Namesake

I wrote a novel in fifty days. It was 66,265 words worth of story set in a universe created from scratch. I illustrated the cover and created the title font only days afterwards.

As a writer of fiction, I create universes. I name them. “Other Folk” is fantasy. “Strange Galaxy” is science fiction. “Black Death” is action-adventure. “White Empires” is dystopia

The new novel was entitled The Wayward School for Girls. The name of its universe could not be derived from the title since “Wayward” is a secondary villain, though the main antagonist.

I named the universe “Weird World” for two reasons. First of all, it describes the dreamlike atmosphere succinctly. Secondly, it is like a terrestrial version of the “Strange Galaxy” name of the interstellar setting.

The name “Weird World” is never mentioned in the novel. Since it is neither in the title nor in the story, I needed to make an extra effort. I decided to write another book. I entitled it Tales of a Weird World and illustrated its cover.

I repurposed old stories and wrote new ones for no other reason than to give the new cover a book. I only made the new cover to give a name to the universe of my latest novel.

https://www.deviantart.com/yellowplasma/art/The-Wayward-School-for-Girls-full-cover-1043500403

2 comments:

  1. For the characters, it is merely the world they live in. Though aware of the strangeness, they are forced to accept it. It is the reader who has a choice, at least for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Even the weirdness of our real world is taken for granted as "normal" just because.

      Delete