Friday, August 18, 2023

My Inspired Fancy

I grew up watching television. My favorite scenes were the unceremonious killing of unimportant characters. There was no blood and guts. The victims winced and dropped.

The killers were usually monsters or villains. The victims were normal people. The killings were impersonal and casual. They were easy… and inconsequential. The hero saved the day. The droves of hapless normal people made no difference: They did not matter.

My favorite victims were young, uniformed and armed. They were specialized in the use of force… yet proved helpless victims. The hero or group of heroes were the only ones who could match the monster or villain.

My fancy was especially gratifying when the killer was the hero and the victims were the nameless baddies. This was the same idea but the moral alignment was reversed. Everything else remained the same. The expendable baddies being normal people was better than them being robots or monsters. I did love it when the hero was a monster.

I watched movies. I read books and comic books. I played games. The unceremonious killing of unimportant characters were my favorite moments in all of them.

I write books and illustrate the covers. My fancy is a major theme in my work. It was and is my inspiration to be a writer and illustrator.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CG279LYG?ref_=ast_author_dp



6 comments:

  1. There is something magical about inspiration. That which is ignored by one is prized by another. It gives the energy to create wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. We cannot create without it. We have "writer's block" and the like without it.

      Delete
  2. Your inspiration has bore great fruit indeed! Congratulations on the new book my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was much hard work, but as a labor of true love.

      Delete
  3. That explains all the furry movies I watched as a kid. I don't know how many times I saw Disney's Robin Hood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those formative inspirations set the standard for life. Our early favorites sometimes stay our favorites.

      Delete