Saturday, December 9, 2017

True to Fiction

Daydreams are casual fantasies inspired by the simplest things. Fiction is when the imagination is shared as stories.

I am a storyteller. Of course I daydream. I turn the fantasies into stories. I understand what I imagine but I must explain it if it is to make sense to other people.

I am mortal and only human. Women are sexy to me. Danger scares me. I have all these things in common with other people. I have themes they can relate to.

The triumph of evil may delight but only the triumph of good can satisfy. Even the evildoers languish when evil wins. Everyone fancies oneself the “good guy” accordingly. Even those proud of evil for being evil rationalize that evil is somehow good.

In all my stories humanity and its mortality provide context. Women are sexy and danger is scary. The struggle of good against evil decides the fate of everyone and everything.

I am a good storyteller. I use archetypes, tropes and other conventions but as the language people understand. I believe what I tell but shall not tell it unless I can make the telling interesting.

I tell whatever story I want using whatever I want to tell it. There is nothing “bad” of itself that I should not consider. Art is not distinguished from vulgarity by its themes but rather by its craftsmanship.

Silly or serious, comedic or dramatic, violent or gentle, hopeful or tragic are not qualities for better or worse as objective standards. The story must be interesting and enjoyable if it is to be good fiction. It must be like daydreams: casual fantasies inspired by the simplest things.

4 comments:

  1. Imagination by its very nature is very silly. But I'm sorry, we are not robots. The best of humanity creature ridiculous things that everyone loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ridicule is from those who are proudly boring.

      Delete
  2. Indeed good fiction is like a daydream , the inspiration must be true if others are to enjoy the experience of being lost within them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daydreams, unlike fiction, can be shamelessly imagined and whimsically crafted. Still, one can be clever in being shameless and whimsical... and that is the acme of storytelling.

      Delete