Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Inglorious Inspirations

I grew up watching the Red Shirts of Star Trek being readily slain by strange horrors. I read about Heracles slaughtering nameless Amazons in droves. I watched Imperial stormtroopers miss every shot only to be gunned down.

I am a writer, artist, game designer and music maker. I create. My creations are daydreams made manifest as fiction, images, challenges and melody.

I was grimly amused by how unceremoniously the Red Shirts were expended. The Amazons as a theme of sex and violence thrilled me exponentially. I was morally satisfied by how useless Imperial stormtroopers were against champions of justice.

Reality is that impersonal dynamic of cause and effect. It is what it is for better or worse. We may try to make the most of it, but honestly, we thrive or languish in accordance with a bigger picture.

Fantasy is that personal indulgence of thoughts and feelings. It is whatever we imagine. We make the most of it for our pleasure.

My reality is wholesome living among family, friends and neighbors. My fantasies are sex and violence among heroes, villains and monsters.

The Red Shirts are protagonists… but unless Uhura or Scotty, they are expendable nonentities. Their lives are insignificant and their deaths inconsequential. Their inglorious fate is a poetic justice to the shame of being ordinary.

The Amazons are antagonists… but are never sinister. Their villainy is a devotion to a warrior cult. Their fate is being women at the hands of men.

The Imperial stormtroopers are antagonists… who believe in law and order. Their villainy is loyalty and obedience. Their fate is being a pawn of government.

I love my inspirations. They were the little seeds planted long ago. They yield a bountiful harvest every season.

4 comments:

  1. It's good to mention Uhura because she actually is useful. We go after the useless. There are always so many of them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An endless supply of the useless! The sinister need cheap labor and cannon-fodder and heroes need meat-shields.

      Delete
  2. You have kept the essence of your inspirations alive in you work creating something new out of pure love. There is no greater joy than growing from the seeds of pure inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, why pour anything but love into an endeavor? There is no better ingredient!

      Delete