Friday, March 11, 2016

Cringing Stormtrooper

A good character, no matter how big or small or whether good guy or bad, is one with personal thoughts and feelings. Such a character has a part to play in the story but from the character's perspective, there is no story. Every moment is just another in the endless stream of reality.

The foot soldier of villainy may be a nonentity antagonist in his fiction but not in his reality. For example: an Imperial Stormtrooper standing guard in a detention block. He feels himself being stared at or may hear a noise. He looks over his shoulder. He cringes as a looming monster lunges at him. The sentry is silenced violently but unceremoniously.

I relish the anticipation when my heroes find themselves behind a pesky sentry. I gleefully anticipate the quick and easy violence that shall eliminate the anonymous baddie. I am amused that the sentry is armed and supposedly vigilant but helpless. I feel grimly satisfied because the victim is trouble, thus, deserving of his inglorious fate.

What about the unfortunate Stormtrooper? I imagine him being a real person. He would have a name those who know him would know him by (even if it is a serial number). There would be a face behind the mask of his helmet. The quick and easy that kills him would be a dramatic and tragic moment that ends his life.

I do not love the nameless foot soldiers of villainy to hate them. Yes, I am amused by their uselessness against heroes. I am thrilled as they struggle feebly or wither in droves. I am excited when they cringe and scream. They are my favorite characters, always.

The useless baddies are perfect as they are. Their names need not be given or their faces shown. We need not mourn their passing. I enjoy imagining them as real people on the wrong side of adventure. The grunts and groans, cringing and screaming, death throes and sprawled bodies are more interesting when they are the quirks of believable characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment