Friday, March 29, 2024

Eyes that See and Ears that Hear

I am a middle-aged man told by a teenage girl that I am a “genius as a giant toddler.” She explained that though I am intellectually brilliant, I am naïve and whimsical. She asked if I was ever diagnosed as autistic. She assured me months later that she “respects” me.

The young woman recently accused me of being “morally dyslexic” and said I had a “gray” view of things.

The girl is popular with her peers and respected by her elders. She is studious and athletic. She does not smoke and I assume she does not abuse other substances either, though she may occasionally drink alcohol.

This teenager has been in my life as a co-worker for over a year, maybe two. She asked me questions no one ever does. She listened to my answers. She is amazingly insightful.

I do not care about right or wrong, legal or illegal, moral or immoral. Honor and loyalty mean nothing to me. I am not guided by principals. I do not fret decency.

I am sincere. I act according to my sincerity, regardless of all else. My compassion is unreasonable. I never forsake but I never forgive. I never betray. I never make a promise unless pressured to do so. I shall break my word if it suits me, and without hesitation. Threats provoke me, whether I can defend against them or not.

I am not fascinated by the insightful girl because of her. I am amazed that I was noticed. People tell me I am intense, but they do not know why. They assume I am like them. They see themselves rather than me.

6 comments:

  1. People fear what they do not understand. For all the talk of diversity, they want everyone to be the same as them. When someone is actually different, it forces them to question their own beliefs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true. The self-righteous are mindful of their own sins. They contradict THEMSELVES. No wonder they cannot stand anyone that is not so flawed. There is no fairness in someone being absolutely better.

      Delete
  2. Few see and hear when there is something truly out of the ordinary. The default is to assume everyone is mundane, it makes them comfortable to believe everyone is like them. It is a wonderful thing however when someone does have eyes to see and ears to hear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus was despised by the people he grew up with when he refused to be as unimportant as they are. They are forgotten, except as the nameless ones like all the others in the world.

      Delete
  3. The very definition of infantile! Babies haven't really matured to the point of figuring those things out. Sadly most people can't pull out of the baby phase for their whole life and end up living a sort of surreal nightmare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly: I remember my first birthday. I surprised my mom by telling her what I remembered.

      Delete