Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Unreal Appeal

Art and fiction fall short lest they appeal to the mind, soul and flesh. The mind requires context, the soul yearns for meaning and the flesh desires nothing more than sensual gratification. Art and fiction are ridiculous without context. They are irrelevant without meaning. They are boring if not sensually gratifying, somehow.

A comely female is more appealing than one that is not. Violence to the death is more thrilling than that which is not. Good against evil is meaningful whereas rigmarole and happenstance are not. A narrative must come to fruition, for better or worse if it is to be satisfying. These truths are conventions because they are intuitively irrefutable. The art and fiction that endure prove my point.

Art and fiction are not about reality. They are the manifestations of thoughts and feelings as an expression thereof. Unlike technology and nonfiction their qualities are fanciful rather than empirical. Their appeal is emotional and psychological rather than overtly practical.

I am a writer, artist and game designer. I channel my thoughts and feelings into creative endeavors. I know what works because I know what I like. My very humanity is both my reference and my inspiration.

Art and fiction are unreal pleasures. They are products of the imagination. They are made of and represent thoughts and feelings. They give us insight beyond what is certain. We enjoy them because they stir what is within.

2 comments:

  1. Art and fiction inspire us with visions of what could be. They are a supreme form of expression. They reveal that which is within...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. They are the material manifestation of spiritual things.

      Delete