Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Truth Be Told

When something happens, it happened, whether we understand how or why or not.  Perception is not reality.  Our beliefs and understandings are only relevant in how they motivate our actual behavior.  Reality simply is what it is.  We must acknowledge it and deal with it if we are to thrive and prosper.
Fiction is not reality but the best fiction tells the truth.  Ironically, the resonating truths of a good yarn are found in the unreality of the human condition.  Seriously: what are love, hate, hope and lust but the things in our own imagination?  Our fancies and feelings are dear to us yet the sum of their quantifiable parts are rather paltry.  That said, our unreality is teeming with the power to transcend us beyond our natural limitations.  We are only animals when we are too dim and dull to imagine beyond our corporeal selves.  Our myths and legends, not the lackluster reality of unbiased history, are what define us and inspire us.  Only as dreamers are we empowered to overcome reality.
I am a writer of fictional stories.  I imagine and inscribe unreality.  I create thoughts and feelings for people who never were.  I can capture or change the thoughts and feelings of those who did or do exist.  The universe and its past, present and future are mine to do with as I please.  All is at my own discretion.  I take the responsibility of this power seriously.  I must be honest in my fiction or else I am a liar in reality.  I must be bold and sincere if I hope to inspire for the better.  I create that which does not exist as an endeavor to enrich those of us who do.  Enjoy.
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/ShawnOToole

No comments:

Post a Comment