Sunday, September 22, 2024

Described as the Mainstream

I write books and illustrate the covers. My work is my own, but people are unfamiliar with it until they read it. They need a basis of comparison to have an idea what my fiction is like.

Using the mainstream…

My novel Agents of the Eye and Ear can be described as The Lord of the Rings as a spy thriller written by Tom Clancy.

My Strange Galaxy series of books can be described as Mass Effect co-written by H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard.

My Black Death series can be described as the movie Natural Born Killers written as a book by William S. Burroughs if he was heterosexual.

My novel The Wayward School for Girls can be described as The Wizard of Oz and Alice in Wonderland as a movie directed by David Lynch based on a book written by Roald Dahl.

My novel Sorcerer of the Realm can be described as Wolfenstein and Arcane as the same story co-written by Ray Bradbury and Philip K. Dick.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Shawn-OToole/author/B07C28S75Z?ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

4 comments:

  1. I still think its funny whenever people use Mass Effect in an analogy. Because they destroyed their own franchise, they have become almost entirely irrelevant in the modern day, and only the people who used to play them mention them anymore. But I get what you mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mass Effect burned to the ground, but like Rome, it inspired greatness beyond itself.

      Delete
  2. While the story is being written, the influences may not be so clear. However when you read the finished work, they will often reveal themselves. The building blocks might be the same, but it is how they are arranged that makes the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Include. Houses made of the same exact type of bricks can be very different houses.

      Delete